BioMed Central is a UK-based, for-profit open access publisher committed to the free widespread dissemination of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) journals. BMC provides immediate, barrier-free access to 207 journals, 20 tracked by ISI and 77 with Impact factors. BMC is owned by Springer Science + Business Media and has over 300 member institutes in 39 countries that access various additional products and services requiring a subscription. BioMed Central also operates Open Repository, a hosted digital repository solution for institutions.
- All research articles in BioMed Central's journals receive rapid and thorough peer review. (BioMed's standard processing fee for authors is $1580 for an article, but some journal pricing varies.)
- When starting a new open-access journal, BMC journal management system incorporates online tools for manuscript submission, peer review and editorial decision making.
- Many BioMed Central journals are citation-tracked and already have Impact Factors.
- All research articles published by BioMed Central may be freely accessed, re-used and re-distributed.
- BioMed Central supports PubMed Central and other digital repositories, and encourages self-archiving by authors.